We love Christmas, just like anybody else. And we try to focus more on the true meaning of Christmas. Our kids don't receive a ton of presents, or super expensive gadgets for Christmas. Just a few things to make them feel loved and happy.
Then, we try to do things to keep us in a holiday/cheerful mood like taking treats to our neighbors and friends. Last year, Marcus made a few blankets for homeless children with his class, and he loved it. I didn't notice how much he liked it until I read one of his weekly letters he wrote to his teacher last week. This is what he wrote (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here...)
We went to the fabric store together on Black Friday weekend to buy some fabrics to make blankets to donate. Marcus chose the fabrics and he was so excited to get started.'I can't wait for Christmas! Last year's Christmas was the best because I got to make five fleece blankets with three of my friends to donate! I hope I will be able to do something like that this year. I am also excited for the presents that I will be getting from Christmas and shortly after that my birthday, but I am most excited to be giving for Christmas.'
Since he is going to be off track in December, we will be making blankets, then we will take them to the homeless shelter. It will be a great activity for both of us.
I also wanted to have something for us to keep the holiday spirit up throughout the month of December, so I decided to make an advent calendar.
I started making this in early November. I wasn't sure that I would have time to finish it before December, but I did it! I'm so glad. :)
Each pockets contains an ornament, and a note (from here). I hope we can enjoy hanging the ornaments, reading the scriptures, and singing the songs together during the month of December.
By the way, after I took a picture and I thought I finished it, I realized that one more ornament was missing! So, I quickly made the last ornament.
My camera is awful, so I am sorry that the color of my pictures is not very good.



No comments:
Post a Comment