Sunday, July 3, 2011

Origami fever continues...



Marcus still loves making origami. I checked out the book called, "The Strange Case of Origami Yoda" at the library, and he loves it. This book is not an origami book. It's just a story about a boy and his origami Yoda. It's a funny story, and I'm happy to see him reading it. I'm always looking for a book for him since he doesn't like to read fiction so much. His reading level is about the 6th grade level, so it's not like he's not a good reader. He is just not into it. Anyway,  after reading this book, he made origami Yoda (the first picture), and he was also inspired to design a origami space ship by himself (the second picture). The Lego guy fits in perfectly in this space ship. I'm glad to see him starting to create his own design.

I also checked out the DVD "Between the Folds" at the library, and it made me think origami differently. I had no idea that origami can be so deep. Have you ever thought that "you're changing the memory of the paper" when you fold it? I never had! This is what a young MIT professor named Eric Demaine said;
“When you put a crease in a piece of paper, you're essentially changing the memory of that piece.” 
Eric Demaine focuses on origami’s connections with math, computers and design. In this film, they also features The Israeli Catholic School that uses origami to teach geometry. Origami is very mathematical if you think about it. Now I know why Marcus likes it so much. (He is a natural mathematician.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...