Saturday, January 12, 2013

Happy 11th Birthday!


Marcus turned 11 yesterday. He's been busy, so I allowed him to stay home from school and relax at home. It was Friday anyway, and they usually don't do a lot on Friday since it's a short day. Just once in a while is OK, right? After all, how many more years will he prefer being with me to being with his friends? I have to enjoy it while it lasts. We made yummy fluffy Japanese pancakes for breakfast, then played the Harry Potter Lego game, and enjoyed spending time together. Then, all of our family went to his favorite restaurant, California Pizza Kitchen for dinner together. Of course, he got a few Lego toys as gifts. I hope he had a good birthday.

1月11日はマーカスのお誕生日。11歳になりました。彼はいつも忙しいので、お誕生日くらいゆっくりするのもいいかな、と学校をお休みさせてあげました。金曜日は午前中だけだし、いいですよね。それに、男の子だからあと何年くらいこうやって私と過ごしたがってくれるかもわからないし、今のうちに満喫しておかなくっちゃ、です。(笑)カリフォルニアで買ってきた日本のホットケーキミックスでふわふわのホットケーキを朝ごはんに作り、一緒にレゴのゲームで遊びました。夜は皆でマーカスのお気に入りのレストラン「California Pizza Kitchen」へ。お誕生日プレゼントはもちろんレゴ。良いお誕生日になったかな?


For the birthday cake, Marcus asked for a chocolate cake, so I baked a Blackout Cake. It was so rich and full of chocolate flavor. In case you are wondering what the Blackout Cake is, it's a three layered devil's food cake frosted with a dark chocolate custard cream, and sprinkled with cake crumbs. According to this website,
"It got its name from the blackout drills performed by the Civilian Defense Corps during World War II. When the navy sent its ships to sea from the Brooklyn Navy Yard, the streets of the borough were “blacked out” to avoid silhouetting the battleships against the cityscrapers of Brooklyn and Manhattan. The cake was so named because of its darkly chocolate-practically black-appearance".
I used the recipe of devils' food cake from "The New Best Recipe", and modified their pastry cream recipe to make chocolate custard cream using Valrhona chocolate. What a splurge!
It was so delicious and divine, and everyone loved it. I thought it would take a few days to finish this cake since it was so rich, but it quickly disappeared within 24 hours. :) 

お誕生日ケーキはチョコレートケーキが食べたいとリクエストだったので、"ブラックアウトケーキ"を作りました。ブラックアウトケーキとは何かというと、デビルズフードケーキというチョコレートケーキを3段にして、チョコレートカスタードクリームをはさみ、仕上げもチョコレートカスタードクリームに粉状にしたケーキを表面にまぶす、ちょコレートずくめのケーキ。何でも、世界第二次戦争ニューヨークのブルックリンで戦闘船のシルエットが高層ビルに浮き上がるのを避けるために消灯訓練をしたことが名前の由来。このケーキのダークチョコレート色が消灯(ブラックアウト)の暗闇の様だからそうです。

お気に入りのレシピ本のデビルズフードケーキのレシピを使い、チョコレートクリームも奮発してフランスのヴァローナを使って作りました。とってもおいしいケーキに仕上がりましたが、さすがに濃厚なチョコレートたっぷりのケーキだったので、食べきるのに2-3日はかかるかなと思っていたら、翌日にはすっかりなくなってしまいました。ほんと、チョコレート好きの我が家です。


Happy Birthday, Marcus! I love you so so so much!

マーカスお誕生日おめでとう!これからも元気で健やかに育ってほしいです。I love you !


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...