Sunday, March 17, 2013

Autism Speaks



A few weeks ago, there was a special free movie event hosted by Autism Speaks. It was for families with autistic children, and since we never get to go out to see movies as a whole family, we decided to attend.
The theater was packed, and it was quite noisy. They had a prize drawing, and they also offered a special kids popcorn deal. Sure, it was a bit distracting since you hear noises made by autistic kids, but nobody complains of course, and it is so nice that we can all sit down together and enjoy the movie at the theater. Anthony didn't get upset, or try to leave. I'm not sure whether he enjoyed the movie or not, but I know Rio and Marcus did. 
The movie was "Escape from Planet Earth", and it was better than we expected.  The Autism Speaks spokesperson said that they would try to do events like this a few times a year. We're very grateful for that.

数週間前でしたが、家族で映画に出かけました。家族皆で出かけられたのは、自閉症支援団体「Autism Speaks」が主催の映画上映会だったから。自閉症児を抱える家族のための無料のイベントでした。自閉症児だけには限りませんが、障害児がいる家庭では家族での外出は困難なので、こういうイベントを催してくれるのは本当にありがたいです。映画館は満席で、立ち上がってじっとしていない子や、声を上げる子などがいてちょっと騒がしい映画鑑賞でしたが、もちろんお互い様なので文句を言う人は誰もいないし、何といっても家族皆で映画を最後まで見ることが出来るなんてリオとマーカスは大喜び。きっと普通の家族にとってはたいしたことないのでしょうけれど私たちにとっては特別なのです。
アントニーも機嫌よく座っていてくれたのでめでたしめでたし。「Autism Speaks」によると、こういったイベントを今後も年に2-3回催す予定だとか。楽しみです。

April is Autism Awareness month, and Autism Speaks promotes the "Light It Up Blue" campaign. This is the third year, and once again, The Home Depot and Autism Speaks team up to sell blue light bulbs. According to this article,
The light bulbs retail for $1.97, and $1 from each one purchased, up to $150,000 will benefit Autism Speaks. The Home Depot arranged for the specially marked Light It Up Blue product to be manufactured and distributed throughout all of its stores in the United States and Canada from March 1 through the end of April, or while supplies last.
I bought two light bulbs last year, so I am planning to light up our front porch on April 2nd like I did last year.

There is a 5K race "Strides For Autism" on April 13th as well, but I'm not sure I will participate. James said that he would not be interested, and we have a soccer game in the afternoon. I could take Anthony with me, but then I will not be able to run. 

It is great to see many events to support autism nowadays. It wasn't anything like this when Anthony was first diagnosed 15 years ago. 

4月は自閉症啓発月。4月2日は自閉症啓発デーで、青い明かりを灯しましょう!という日にもなっています。
去年買った青い色の電球があるので、今年も玄関を青い明かりにしなくっちゃ、と思っています。

こうやって、自閉症を取り上げた行事が盛んになるのは良いことだと思います。アントニーが自閉症と診断された15年前とは大違いです。


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...